Mission to Nepal - March 2006
Background to the International Press Freedom and Freedom of Expression Mission to Nepal
In response to continued violations of press freedom and freedom of expression in Nepal, twelve international organisations are undertaking a joint mission to Nepal from 20 to 25 March 2006. The visit is a direct continuation of this previous International Mission in July 2005.
The members of the Mission are meeting with a broad cross-section of the national media community to discuss the press freedom and freedom of expression situation. They are also meeting with key institutions and decision-maker amongst the national authorities, security forces and other parties to stress respect for press freedom and freedom of expression.
In addition, the Mission will visit three districts in Nepal - Pokhara, Surkhet and Birtamod - and will meet with local civil and army authorities and representatives from the local media in these areas. The members of the Mission will also participate in a national conference on press freedom in Nepal to be held in Kathmandu on 24 March.
The Mission will hold a press conference at the end of the visit on 25 March.
The international organisations participating on the mission include:
- ARTICLE 19
- Free Voice
- International Federation of Journalists
- International Freedom of Expression Exchange - IFEX
- International Media Support
- International News Safety Institute
- International Press Institute
- Reporters sans Frontières
- South Asia Press Commission
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation - UNESCO
- World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters - AMARC
- World Press Freedom Committee
Three other international organisations, which participated in the July 2005 mission, are supporting the return mission in March 2006. These organisations include:
The mission is organised in Nepal by the Federation of Nepalese Journalists in collaboration with a group of twenty-eight Nepalese organisations, institutes and networks. International coordination for the mission is being provided by International Media Support.
To view reports, click on the links below:
- Joint Statement -- International Press Freedom and Freedom of Expression Mission: Rapid Response Assessment Mission to Nepal -- February 8, 2009
- Media and Election Monitoring Mission -- April 14, 2008
- Building for the Future: An Overview of the Nepal's Media and Recommendations for Development Priorities -- February 2008
- International Advocacy Mission for Press Freedom in Nepal -- March 2006